07 April 2011

Shoulder Alteration

Ah! It's so sunny!!



I bought this dress a couple years ago [think Fall 2009] and, even though the top was a little large and hung way too low on me, I wore it to my cousin's baptism. After having to pull it up every few minutes, I threw it away to the deep recesses of my closet. However, a few events on campus made me rethink this decision. I mean, it's a nice dress and I ought to wear it if I spent my money, right? So, I got to work.

First, I figured out how much needed to be taken in, then marked and pinned it. Then I took out my seam ripper and started taking apart the sleeve.

I really didn't plan out what I was doing so it took much longer than expected-especially since the sleeves were pretty well put together. While taking apart the sleeve, I decided to make the sleeve have a crease at the top. Since I wanted to sew it back to look like the original, I cut out a big chunk of the shoulder. There were two layers of fabric so I turned it inside out and sewed the outer layer [the part that will be flipped/shown on the outside.] Then I closed it up and folded in the inner layer's fabric. I had no idea how to sew that portion so the thread wouldn't show, so I just sewed as close to the edge as possible.



The extra little loop would make the crease. I pulled it in as far as possible and then hand sewed that portion to the inner layer of fabric.



I did the same to the other shoulder…or as close as possible. As I wasn't planning ahead, I didn't do the sleeves simultaneously and by the time I had to do the second sleeve, I forgot how much I cut off the shoulder. Luckily, my trial and error turned out well :]


Now, there's a cute little puff on each sleeve and the top of the dress fits me as it should!


Odd place to take a photo, but oh well. There was an award ceremony for Honor Roll students in the Chemistry Department. They provided dinner for the student and my parents decided to come--too bad I'm not a Chem major; they had some nice awards.



Just for fun-my face while looking at the line of people to get food.



No comments:

Post a Comment