26 October 2013

Halloween!

I was invited to a halloween party where, obviously, costumes are mandatory. As I was struggling to come up with something, I remembered buying this fabric [read: baby bed sheets] a couple years ago at a thrift store and decided to get sewing.

If you can't guess what I'll be making, read the tag...

I made a suspender skirt and wanted the suspender straps to be removable. The front attachments I made using a ribbon loop.


I utterly failed with the suspender attachments in the back because I've never made button holes before and did not have the foresight to practice on scrap fabric first. 

Failed button hole #1
Semi-improved button hole #2
In retrospect, I should have made all the suspender attachments with the ribbon loop instead of being overly ambitious and wanting button holes for adjustability. Luckily, this mess is hidden!

Next on the agenda was to make a hat! Using a hat I already had, I covered it with extra fabric from the fitted sheet [elastic ftw!] and put in some strategic stitches to hold in place. 



Wearing M's wig and giving myself freckles, I transformed into....strawberry shortcake!


Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture while I was at the Halloween party so this will have to suffice. Best part? Everything I needed was at hand and I didn't spend a dime [more than I spent two years ago :P]

1 comment: