28 January 2016

Striped Jersey Tank Dress

My friend D is starting a blog as a creative outlet, which inspired me to do some sewing. I have a lot of projects that I start and then don't finish for one reason or another. I started this jersey dress in September 2014 and I stopped because:

1) I realized I was making a summer dress when it was fall and that I should totally make other things appropriate for the weather and
2) I had started to sew the trim (?? pardon my lack of knowing any sewing terminology) for the neck and arm holes, which was frustrating me since the fabric I was using was stretchy jersey and
3) I thought I had utterly messed up the fit by making a button placket in the front/trying to be fancy. 

Anywho, fast forward to now...it's January 2016. That's totally summertime, right?

       
Different apartments so different lighting (yes, I've moved since I started this project. It's been that long.) I finished the neck line and felt too exhausted to finish the arm holes so...I quit reason #2.

Placket didn't quite line up properly and the top seemed too low cut so...I quit reason #3. I wanted functional buttons, but the front flap kept flipping down. In order to make the top of the dress modest, I ended up just sewing the buttons in place. That seemed to semi-fix the misaligned placket. 

I like how it's flowing but I was told it was too shapeless so I cut a strip of fabric for a belt. Since the theme of this post was delaying a project out of sheer laziness, I wanted to note that true to form I did not finish the bottom hem. Not even a zigzag stitch because -let's be real- it's jersey and I couldn't be bothered. 




3 comments:

  1. Omg, since 2014??? >_>!!! Haha, I do that with a lot of things too >.<!

    I think it's cute with/without belting! Without is like a shift dress, which I feel like works better for thin people like youuu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Side note, I have your old blog (blog.usf) bookmarked still...so I always click on that and then click on the link on there to get here. Lol, so inefficient! Guess I'll update my bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That site hasn't been shut down?! I assumed it would since I don't even have access anymore >.<

      Delete